Public Relations for Business Owners
A Powerful PR Plan That Brings You Profits
Follow these steps for PR success:
- Claim or create your directory listings on the three primary platforms:Google, Yelp, and Facebook. Ensure that the information is up to date.
- Review your website. Address the following:
- Repair broken links.
- Add some media. It could be a photo or a video.
- Ensure that your website presents the image that you want to project.
- If applicable, add one page of content. Do this once a month.
- Hire help if you need it.
- Enhance your image. What is one thing you can work on this month?
- Do something in the community. Get involved in your community in a positive and public way. Ensure that others know about it.
- Ask your customers for feedback. Ask them what they like and don’t like. Ask for suggestions. Take the most common complaint and address it. Ensure that you inform your customers that you addressed it.
- Start a Facebook page. There’s no time like the present to get started. Look at your competitor’s Facebook pages for ideas. Ask yourself what can be improved upon and make your page better than theirs.
Move to the next level:
- Continue improving and adding to your website. Just one article a month is all it takes. You can even hire someone to do this for you.
- Start asking for reviews. Send your reviewers to those three sites: Google, Yelp, and Facebook. Respond to negative reviews in a timely fashion.
- Choose another quality about yourself and work on it. Repeat this until your spouse, clients, customers, and employees complain about how perfect you are.
- Stay on top of your Facebook responsibilities. Perhaps you have an employee that’s interested in handling this responsibility.
- Consistently post (3 times per week) quality content.
- Engage with your readers: ask questions, answer questions, reply to comments, run fun contests, and more.
- Open another social media account, such as Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest, and post regularly.
- Enhance your company in another way that improves your standing with your customers or the public. Keep this up forever, too. Remember that you have the list of suggestions from customers.
- Start thinking of ways to get more publicity for yourself or your company. One good news story, podcast, or interview could make a huge difference.
- Make a habit of volunteering in your community. Stay front and center in positive community events.